Senior Software Engineer Job
Job Description Job Attributes+
San Francisco, CA, US
Job DescriptionFueled by a fundamental belief that having access to financial services creates opportunity, PayPal (NASDAQ: PYPL) is committed to democratizing financial services and empowering people and businesses to join and thrive in the global economy. Our open digital payments platform gives PayPal’s 286 million active account holders the confidence to connect and transact in new and powerful ways, whether they are online, on a mobile device, in an app, or in person. Through a combination of technological innovation and strategic partnerships, PayPal creates better ways to manage and move money, and offers choice and flexibility when sending payments, paying or getting paid. Available in more than 200 markets around the world, the PayPal platform, including Braintree, Venmo and Xoom enables consumers and merchants to receive money in more than 100 currencies, withdraw funds in 56 currencies and hold balances in their PayPal accounts in 25 currencies.
About Us We all love what we do, and we all love doing it together, because we demand the best people to make the best Venmo. Venmo was founded on the principles of breaking down the foreboding walls of financial transactions to make them intuitive and even fun with friends. And it worked, people love sending money with Venmo. But we’re not done. We want to take that magic of sending money with Venmo and cascade it into every place you use your money. We want to connect the people of the world with their money, in an intuitive way, then connect them with each other in a genuine way. All that’s going to take a lot of figuring out. Let’s figure it out together. Engineering at Venmo At Venmo, we are creating a product that people love. We strive to create a delightful user experience while connecting the world and empowering people through payments. We are looking for intellectually curious people who want to be inspired and inspire others to change the world. Engineering is a craft, and at Venmo we want the internals of our software to be as elegant as the end user experience we are designing. We spend our days scaling our infrastructure and building new features to meet and exceed our user’s needs and wants. We teach and learn from one another, and push each other to be at our creative and analytical bests.
As a Sr. Software Engineer in Data Infrastructure, you will empower teams to leverage their data with confidence. You are excited by the prospect of optimizing or even re-designing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Design, implement, and maintain our data infrastructure services, like Kafka, Unified Logging services, and DAL, at Venmo
- Build data tools that utilize the data pipeline to provide actionable insights into our customers, operational efficiency and other key business performance metrics
- Continuously improving data operations: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Help triage issues, track software defects, and ensure their timely resolution
- Stewarding technical standards and quality
- Interface with product and other functional teams and their leadership
What we are looking for:
- Bachelors and/or Masters in computer science OR related field of study
- 5+ years experience in software development or a related field
- Proficiency with big data infrastructure: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc
- Expertise with relational SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience with data pipeline and workflow management tools: Azkaban, Luigi, Airflow, etc
- Experience with AWS cloud services: EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift
- Proficiency with one object-oriented/object function scripting language: Python, Java, C++, Scala, etc
- Strong communication skills with the ability to understand and explain technical issues to a non-technical audience
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities. If you are unable to submit an application because of incompatible assistive technology or a disability, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who We Are
<div style="text-align: justify;">PayPal employees who have served in the military, along with employees who support veterans’ causes, make up our military veterans network, called Serve. Through this outreach and development program, veterans contribute to making PayPal a more diverse and inclusive company by leveraging their experiences and training to assist their teammates and PayPal. </div><div style="text-align: justify;">Many of our U.S. locations host active chapters, and the program has expanded to include employees who are British veterans working in our London office.
The Serve network provides a place for veterans and allies to come together regularly, and offers professional and personal development opportunities, mentorship, and community outreach opportunities. This network advances veterans’ causes, along with a vision to nurture an environment of integrity, excellence, respect, teamwork, and leadership consistent with PayPal business and diversity initiatives.</div>